Status of Emerging Memory Technologies. No more guessing, Reality is here!
Mark Webb, MKW Ventures Consulting
Cost for Memory Technologies in 2019 and 2020 (LOG Scale required!)
We have costs, revenue, cell sizes, performance metrics for ReRAM, PCM (3D Xpoint) and MRAM technologies today. Plus, we have a Product Lifecycle Model that shows where additional technologies are today, when they can be expected to sell in volume and what the milestones are along the way. Nanotube RAM, Ferro-electric RAM, ReRAM modifications and MRAM modifications are technologies that are being developed.
Some topics to discuss:
- There is no universal memory in existence or even in development. There are always tradeoffs
- Emerging memories being implemented today are not at the theoretical performance, cost, or density shown in marketing presentations. The reality is still useful, but we need to understand the actual performance to determine applications. We have details on this
- Nothing is proposed to replace DRAM or NAND in the next 5-10 years so far. DRAM will not be replaced by MRAM and NAND will not be replaced by ReRAM. In 2020, More bits will be added to both NAND and DRAM supply than all emerging memories combined.
- Embedded memory and stand alone memory have very different solutions and business models. Some technologies work well for one versus another.
- The financial model of how to bring emerging memories to volume production has changed dramatically in the past two years. Foundries and Wafer fab equipment manufacturers have changed the environment so that we can achieve the scale needed.
- Which technology from which company will win? We have evaluations of each on our Product Life Cycle and show how you can monitor them over time.
We will be at IEDM in San Francisco/Bay Area Dec 7-13. Call or Email to set up meeting to discuss how these technologies will impact markets and how some other projections are based on myths, not reality.