3D Xpoint Technology, Markets, and Plans for the Future. Intel released Optane products based on 3D Xpoint. We reviewed the technology, processing, product performance and cost.
Flash Memory Summit will have two sessions covering aspects of 3D Xpoint plus many more on persistent memory and new memory technologies. Topics covered:
- What do the technology teardowns show about 3D Xpoint
- What type of memory is it
- What does it cost
- What are the best applications for it
- When do we get to see 1000x performance in DIMMS
- Is NAND Dead? is DRAM Dead?
- How much revenue will companies make on 3D Xpoint in 2017-2020
Just when they say it's not PCM.... guess what.... it's PCM!
The chip has lots of opportunity for cost reduction and optimization
The speed in current applications with NVMe is 4-7x faster than NAND
It's costs less than half of DRAM per bit and 2x SLC NAND per bit.... If optimized
The fastest Cache SSD and the Fastest NVMe SSDs in the world are both 3D XPoint.
It has lots of error correction/redundancy and firmware to manage it.
Revenue won't be what I predicted last year.... I have the new numbers!
Tuesday Aug 8, 2017 3:40-6:00PM Flash Memory Summit . Multiple great panelists!